Speaking Classic Rock 101 in a Hip Hop & Alternative Rock World

Posted by Unknown | | Posted On Friday, July 2, 2010 at 9:50 AM


I was trying to explain the merits of the just the right amount of notes and guitar in a song to my 14 year old son. I was using the example of David Gilmour. He seems to have the perfect guitar solo for every song. Many of Pink Floyd songs are as memorable for David's guitar work as they are for the songs themselves.
My son's response "Lame"
I was speaking in another language that he did not grasp or understand. He speaks hip hop and alternative rock & I was was speaking classic rock 101. As I grabbed the code from YouTube that conversation carried out further in the comment section. Lame verses genius continued, and the conversation was heated on some of the various video postings. So as a lover of music do I try to force my son to understand the value of great music and great musicians or do I need to learn the music language he speaks to be able to communicate with him at all?
The same question is put to us in our churches. Do we continue to speak in classic rock or classical music when the next generation is speaking hip hop and alternative rock? The words(The Message) never changes but the tools and presentation required to communicate it changes as fast as a 1 hit wonder. They are here today and gone tomorrow, only to be played on VH1s 1 hit wonders.
The quest is not to be hip or cool. I'm fine being considered a dork by my kids & others. The true quest is to speak the native language well enough to be given the chance to share the greatest news ever. I think it is worth my discomfort to be given the chance to tell the life changing story of what Jesus has done for us all.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Speaking Classic Rock 101 in a Hip Hop & Alternative Rock World

Post a Comment